Roasted chicken is a preferred dish in the United Sates, but roasted duck is less popular. Here is a way of making the roasted duck recipe and it is sure to be tantalizing.
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 head Garlic, keeping the top trimmed
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 whole duck weighing 5 to 6 lbs and defrosted
- Fresh ground black pepper 11/2 tsp
- Boiling water
- 1 orange cut
- Celery stalks 1 cut as 2” pieces
- Ensure the duck is defrosted thoroughly, if frozen. (Defrost for 2-3 days in refrigerator.) Place a large pot with water such that it submerges the whole duck and place it on a stove and bring to boil. Remember to preheat at 425°F the oven.
- Remove from the bag the duck. Remove the packet of orange sauce packet, neck and giblets from interior. Save the neck and giblets to prepare stock. Remove the surplus fat from neck and body cavity. Rinse the duck from inside and out by running it under cool running water. Pat it dry. Use a sharp fork to prick the skin, but do it carefully so that you do not pierce the meat. Now put the duck carefully in the boiling water pot and allow it to boil for 10 minutes so that some fat is removed. Then remove the duck, cool and pat it to dry.
- Mix pepper, salt and paprika. Rub it inside the duck and also outside as spice mix. Place on a rack keeping breast side up in a roasting pan. Stuff orange quarters, garlic head as whole and cut pieces of celery into the duck cavity. Fold under the neck skin and cover the cavity, thus secure it using a skewer.
- Place in the oven the roasting pan. After 15 minutes reduce the temperature of the oven to 350°F. Remove the duck after 45 minutes from the oven, eliminate the fat collected in the roasting pan bottom and turn the duck carefully, place it back in the roasting pan and check after 35 minutes. By this time, you can remove from the oven, the duck, remove fat accumulated and turn it such that the breast side is up. Cook for 15 minutes more if it is a 5 pound duck and 20 minutes for 6 pound duck. Do not overcook. The temperature must be 175°F as internal for the leg and thigh joint as they are the thickest parts. Finally remove the duck from the oven.
- Carve the duck and serve